|
|
CHLOE MALLE
HEAD OF EDITORIAL CONTENT, VOGUE U.S.
@CHLOEMALLE
|
CHLOE MALLE
HEAD OF EDITORIAL CONTENT, VOGUE U.S.
@CHLOEMALLE
|
|
|
|
Sunday night is the Tony Awards, which is a big moment in the Vogue household. Also big in the Vogue household: this week we announced our 10 finalists for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund, and it is such a stellar line-up—no benchwarmers among them! Relatedly, it’s been a big sports week. Tennis, soccer, and the Knicks, oh my!
|
And Then There Were Ten
One of my very first assignments at Vogue was profiling all 10 of the CVFF finalists for our November 2011 issue. That August I bopped around the Garment District (because most New York brands were still headquartered there back then) and forged relationships with designers I still wear today (like Joseph Altuzarra) and others I wish still made clothes because I loved them (like Suno and Creatures of the Wind). Fifteen summers later, I am a judge in the competition for the first time and it is such an honor. On Monday morning, my fellow judges and I gathered at the CFDA offices in the WSA building and debated the 31 runners-up over Balthazar almond croissants, finally deciding with gusto on 10 finalists who we are deeply excited about and eager to champion. Here they are.
|
Deb Ball
I have long admired former Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland, and for our Summer issue we profiled her and her activist daughter, Somah, photographing them against the dramatic Sandia Mountains of New Mexico, Haaland’s home state. Haaland is, to me, the prime example of someone who uses fashion in a powerful and delightful way, incorporating Native designs into her political wardrobe with such flair. She always looks appropriate but also always looks like herself. It was thrilling to see her win the primary this week in her bid to be New Mexico’s governor.
|
John the Giant
I love the Tonys because they’re like a buffet of all the theater I may have missed during the season. I got to chat with Giant’s John Lithgow—a nominee this year for best actor in a play—and his wife, Mary, at the Met and Vanity Fair hosted a cocktail for the show last Thursday with a lovely toast by director Nicholas Hytner. I still love the images Jelka von Langen and Roman Goebel took of Lithgow for our Spring issue and Sarah Crompton’s excellent piece about him. Speaking of, Arthur has a Toniebox and listens to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory every morning, so we are very into the Roald Dahl universe at the moment.
|
Central Perk
People talk about the magic of Central Park during cherry blossom season, but I’ll always take the park in full summer. We went to the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre this weekend to see their perplexing adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood, Little Red’s Hood, about a pre-teen aspiring influencer who is so stuck on her phone she doesn’t notice an encroaching wolf. When we emerged, a drumline was playing to mark the start of Shakespeare in the Park season. This year, the first production is a bilingual adaptation of Romeo and Juliet set at the US–Mexico border. We photographed the leads, Ra’Mya Latiah Aikens and Daniel Bravo Hernández, for our Summer issue.
|
Taking TFF
I always enjoy going to screenings during the Tribeca Film Festival, which kicked off this week. Last year I loved the documentary on Diane von Furstenberg; this year I’m eager to see artist Rachel Rose’s first feature film, The Last Day. Lisa Wong Macabasco has done a great preview of the four more films to keep your eye on.
|
Resort Report
More resort collections are coming through—I loved Tory Burch’s candy-colored car coats and Erdem’s fancy florals had me thinking about verdant locales—and not a moment too soon. We ran a roundup of where Vogue editors are headed for vacation this year, and it really runs the gamut! I added Charleston, where my family is joining my in-laws for a weekend in June!
|
You Say Potato!
Our Summer issue is a celebration of the parts of this country that we love most, and something I think of as a classic American motif is the humble potato—despite the fact that, as Tamar Adler’s wonderful story will remind you, there is really nothing American about it! In it, Adler goes on a quest to find the famed ancient potatoes of the Canary Islands, which she says are to an Idaho potato what Cartier is to Claire’s. Speaking of jewelry, we were inspired to Vogue-ify a potato by adorning it with some of our favorite American jewelry brands!
|
The Skirt Suits!
For her surprise wedding to Callum Turner last weekend at the Old Marylebone Town Hall (also the site of Chioma Nnadi’s parents’ wedding many moons ago! Always trendsetting, those Nnadis), Dua Lipa wore a Schiaparelli skirt suit and wide-brimmed hat that channeled another high-profile courthouse wedding: that of Bianca and Mick Jagger in Saint Tropez a century ago. So nice to see it twice!
|
A Delicate Balance
If you read Emma Specter’s frank, funny, and thoughtful collection of essays, More, Please, you may be surprised to hear she’s found real health benefits from taking Zepbound. (A reminder that GLP-1s aren’t just for vanity and achieving a dream of thinness!) I appreciated how she made larger concerns about the use and accessibility of those drugs feel urgent and personal in an essay this week.
|
|
|
|
0 comments:
Post a Comment